Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Bruschetta

My garden is looking a bit sad. There are still plenty of tomatoes on the vine and the basil looks pretty robust but you can tell it is also nearing the end. I decided to do one last harvest of tomatoes before getting the garden ready for winter. Anytime I have a basket full of tomatoes and basil, I think of two things: Margherita pizza or bruschetta. I was feeling a bit lazy and nothing is easier than bruschetta, so that is what I made. I am always trying different variations of this recipe but it almost seems the simpler you make, the better it is. The only thing I would change in the following adaptation is the amount of balsamic vinegar I put in….it was a bit too vinegary for my taste. 


    Compile all of the ingredients beforehand. You will need:
- salt and pepper
- pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of Balsamic vinegar
- butter
- olive oil
- Garlic, 4 cloves
- Basil (preferably fresh) about 15 leaves.
- Bread (I usually use a French loaf but I had this sesame seed bread on hand)


 Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to a small pan


      Add 4 cloves of minced garlic to the oil and sauté for approximately one minute, until golden brown. Once brown, place the oil and garlic in a bowl to cool.


       Slice all of the cherry tomatoes in half. Instead of cutting them one by one, I found a tip online that instructs you to grab two lids (as shown in picture above), place a handful of cherry tomatoes on one lid and set the second lid on top of the cherry tomatoes. Using gentle pressure on the top lid, slice through the cherry tomatoes (See picture below). Continue with this until you are finished slicing tomatoes.







      Place all the tomatoes in a large bowl. Add up to 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. 


      Chiffonade the basil leaves and add to the bowl.   Add salt and pepper to taste.


    Add cooled olive oil and garlic to bowl. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the bread.



      Heat a skillet or griddle up on the stove.   Butter both sides of a piece of bread. Place bread on heated pan and flip when browned.


      When the bread is finished, place it on a plate and top with generous helping of tomato/basil mixture.



     Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment