Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?


My last post was in February. I had no intention of stopping. I had a calendar set up with various post ideas all the way into June. I don't know what happened. I think it was hard for me to justify keeping this going when there was not an obvious reward for doing so. I am not making money. I am not changing lives. I definitely don't need something else to occupy my time. I kept telling myself that the time I spent working on a blog could be better spent writing my book or playing yet another round of Disney Princess match game with my daughter or reading all those hefty classics I missed in college. So, I just stopped.

Something happened though. For one, none of those things I mentioned above came into play. I think I just swept more floors and looked through all 398 pages of new items on Modcloth. More than that though, I realized that I was rarely doing anything creative. Almost all of my posts required some type of artistic or creative expression. Creating a post, whether it be for a recipe or a craft project or even a photo board for my yard sale finds requires one to slow down and be present in the step by step process. Instead of thinking about what you are going to cook for dinner or when the house is finally going to get re-sided, you are fully in the moment watching the grains of salt spill into the bowl or smelling the glue that is holding your paper together. Your post demands that you pay attention. You have readers. They may be few but they deserve your fullest attention, do they not?

I miss that. My mind, like so many others', constantly flits from subject to subject, from past to future, rarely stopping to enjoy the present. So, here I am......ready to give this another try. This time I am going to back off of my attempts at structuring everything and just feel my way through it. Will I post three times a week? Who knows? Pablo Picasso states that "The chief enemy of creativity is good sense". Point taken Pablo. Point taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment