Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chair Renovation

I have had this ugly dining room chair since we moved into our home over 10 years ago. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I hung on to it with the intention of giving it a face lift. It took me 10 years to start it and only one hour (minus drying time) to complete it. I hate to think of all the things I could get done if I would just quit procrastinating or waiting for the perfect time. 

Ugly chair.
Start by removing the chair cushion from the frame. Then using a flat screwdriver, pry up the old staples in order to remove the ugly, faded fabric.
Here are the components of the chair seat: sturdy board base, layer of cushion, fabric. Replace any of these as seen fit. All of mine were in good condition.
This is the cushion pad.
Beautiful piece of gray fur I had hanging around. Because who doesn't have a random piece of gray fur?
Lay cushion in center of fabric. Lay chair board on top of cushion.

Pulling fabric tightly, staple the fabric to the board. Wrap corners of fabric like you would a Christmas present. Don't be scared of going a little staple crazy. You want the fabric to stay put. And there is something seriously satisfying about the ker-pow of a staple gun, No??
Paint chair frame. Let dry.
Finished seat cushion. (Well, almost finished. I went back and fixed that little bulge in the front. Blasted thing.)
Secure seat back onto chair frame. 
 

Finito! What a beauty!!All my girls are fighting over who gets it. It is mine, I tell them with a small maniacal glint in my eye. Mine. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment