Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How to make ButterBeer

If you know me at all then you know I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. Like one of those creepy robe wearing adults with authentic wands that have movie-viewing parties complete with a Nagini inspired cake and ButterBeer. Did I just admit that? I'm just kidding.

Anyway, I had ButterBeer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida and it was rich and made me a bit queasy. Kind of like real beer.
I ask myself, who doesn't like ButterBeer?? How can you be a fan and not like ButterBeer? So, I set out on a quest to find a recipe that delivered. Folks, I was successful. Is it still rich? Heck yeah people. Anything called BUTTERBEER is bound to be a bit cloying. But I found that I could drink this is small doses and pretend like I was sitting at The Hog's Head Tavern with my crew.

I'm gonna quit now before you all think I am a horrible dork. What's that you say?? Oh. I thought you said something.



Here it is (from BakeMeAway.wordpress.com)

1 liter cream soda
1 cup heavy cream
butterscotch sauce to taste 

Pour the soda into a large shallow dish.  Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.  Remove from freezer and if the soda has started to freeze around the edges, break up and rake the frozen bits to the center with a fork.  Put the container back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.  Keep repeating this process until the soda is very slushy.  You’ll want to be able to drink it through a straw.  This took about 3 hours starting with room temperature soda, but could take less if your soda is chilled and if you have a colder freezer.

When the soda is almost ready, make the topping.  Beat the heavy cream until it is lightened, but still loose.  (Think beer foam instead of whipped cream.)  Whisk in enough butterscotch to give the cream a definite butterscotch flavor.

To serve, spoon or pour the slushy soda into clear cups or glasses.  Spoon the foamy topping on top.

You could also make this as an unfrozen version. 

If you make this, let me know what you think readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment