Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

DIY Cacti Garden

I love a home with plants; lush, green, draping, drooping plants that add warmth and depth to a room. None of the descriptives I used in the last sentence apply to cacti. Well, okay...green applies, but the rest, forget it. Until recently I did not like cacti. Pokey, dry looking things that can draw blood are not usually in my go to arsenal for room enhancers. However, I noticed a few different cacti gardens on various social media so I decided to give it a try. Lo and behold, I am a cacti converter!!
So simple and so beautiful!

You will need:

A shallow vase (I think a wider dish than the one I am using would look divine, but this is what I had to work with)
Rocks
Soil
Cactus plants (succulents or aloe work well too!)



Step 1.
Add some rocks to the bottom of your dish. This will help with drainage when you water them.



Step 2.
Add soil.



Step 3.
Plant a group of small plants in the soil.



Step 4.
Cover the top of the soil with another thin layer of rock or decorative moss.



You. Are. Done.



I wish I had three more like this and I could make an awesome table centerpiece!!
Remember that cacti and succulent plants rarely need watered. (My kind of plant.) Only do so when once or twice a month or when the soil is completely dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment