Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Basil Overload

I have just recently started using herbs. I mean, sure I would add a tad of oregano or cinnamon when a recipe called for it, but if said recipe asked for thyme or curry.....I would just skip it. Surely it couldn't be that important, right? Yeah. I know. I wonder about myself sometimes too.

Now since I actually like my food to have a bit of flavor, I decided to plant some basil in my garden this year. I have learned two things. 1.) Basil is really easy to grow. 2) One basil plant is enough to feed three families.

I have more basil than I know what to do with. I started adding it to almost every recipe since I "thought" it would go unnoticed but after adding it to some meatloaf, Jake caught on. "Why does this taste like salad?", he asked. Salad? For the record, it DID NOT taste like salad but then again, I can count the number of times my man has eaten a salad on one hand. So, maybe to him it did. Anyway, I digress.

I have decided to just freeze some of this basil for future use. After reading a few tutorials online, I found it is super easy to do.

Step 1. Gather up some basil leaves. I have used around 20-25 leaves here.





Step 2. After rinsing them off, stack them into a pile. Using a large chef's knife, chop the basil finely.







Step 3. Place the basil in a bowl. Add 1 tsp of olive oil to the herb and mix well.




 Step 4. Place the oil and herb mix into a freezer bag and spread out the herb so it will lay flat in the freezer.


 


Whenever you need some fresh basil, break off however much you will need and re-freeze the rest.

Easy Peasy!

P.S. - Please bear with me as I learn to take better blog pictures. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment